EDUCATION & EVENTS
ENROLLMENT & CREDENTIALING
FORMS & MANUALS
POLICIES & GUIDELINES
PROGRAMS & INITIATIVES
Coronavirus: Early-Refill Restrictions Lifted
As we continue to monitor and prepare for the potential spread of the new coronavirus (COVID-19), we are working to ensure that your patients who are Blue Cross members are able to receive their medications during emergency situations.
Although we have early-refill restrictions that are standard in our pharmacy management safety edits, these restrictions will be temporarily removed because of the coronavirus emergency. Here’s what that means for providers and patients:
Lifting Early-Refill Restrictions
- We are working with Prime Therapeutics® to allow our members to obtain early refills of their medications.
- Prime is maintaining communication with all pharmacies and notifying them of the process to follow when submitting early-refill prescription claims.
- Diabetic supplies filled under the patient's prescription benefits are subject to the same early-refill allowance as other prescription medications.
- We are continually evaluating the emergency situation and have the ability to extend the early-refill time frame as needed.
- Prime will provide us with ongoing reporting of early-refill claims submitted, allowing us to monitor the situation and make any adjustments if needed.
Prime Therapeutics LLC is an independent company contracted by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama to provide pharmacy benefit management services.