PA Resources Portlet
CODING & DOCUMENTATION
EDUCATION & EVENTS
ENROLLMENT & CREDENTIALING
FORMS & MANUALS
POLICIES & GUIDELINES
PROGRAMS & INITIATIVES
PROVIDER NETWORKS & SPECIALTIES
PA Dynamic Rendering
Professional Malpractice Liability Insurance Requirement for Providers
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama enrolls and credentials all individual providers. One of the minimum requirements for enrollment and network consideration is evidence of individual current malpractice liability insurance.
The specific guidelines for individual providers are:
- Each provider must present a copy of the insurance certificate or evidence of professional malpractice insurance that is currently in force.
- The certificate must show the provider name, coverage amounts and effective dates of the malpractice liability insurance.
- A policy with shared limits for multiple providers is not acceptable for MDs, DOs, ODs, DPMs, DCs, DMDs and DDSs.
- The insurer must be a domestic carrier.
- Individual providers must maintain coverage of at least $1 million individual/$1 million aggregate. (With the exception of Florida-based practitioners whose requirement is based on Florida state regulations.)
- The policy may NOT include any type of Self-Insured Retention (SIR).
Providers with Blue Cross are required to maintain active malpractice liability insurance. As a part of the recredentialing process for providers, they must meet the requirements listed above.